Re[2]: [MV] Hoax comments

From: James Burrill (jburrill@dttus.com)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 13:52:31 PST

     I think this is one of those things that you have to weigh the
     situation to decide on a course of action.

     Most non-HMV owners' comments are usually of the " Yeah, I drove one
     of these back when I was in the 223rd. Say, did you ever hear of
     Marilyn's bar in Olongapo?" and then 20 minutes of war stories.

     I have never caught grief from a casual by-passer. I have read on this
     list where some have...as Jim relates, usually with a neighbor or
     zoneing board members or "Beautify the neighborhood: get rid of "dead"
     cars" types. They have a vested interest in digging up some way to
     force you to comply with their agenda.

     Imagine the glee they would experiance if they stumbled across this
     law! And what police official is going to *really* ignore acting on a
     complaint from some "activist" type that they know is going to keep
     pushing the issue up the chain. The cop may not want to bust on you,
     but faced with someone "on a mission from GOD", are they going to be
     accused of cover-up or obstruction and loose their job, or will they
     serve the papers?

     This is a rough dilemma....Do you raise the issue officially and try
     to get the law changed?....and risk the HCI and the anti-military
     crowd adding this to their agenda? or do you ignore it and hope you're
     teflon coated and the issue will pass you by?

     Again, as Jim has pointed out, what happens if your new neighbor
     storms over angrily because his kid is watching you work on your
     halftrack? And you proceed to get the "What are you? a Militia member?
     Do you keep guns? explosives? I don't want my boy getting bad ideas
     from you!" lecture.

     As you realize you and the neighbor are *not* going to get along, you
     are now faced with the worry that this bozo is going to try to ruin
     your participation in HMV collecting.

     Of course, all you MI residents could just put off any action until a
     couple of owners get busted and then you leap into action. This isn't
     meant to be a criticism...it is the likely course most state clubs
     would do. Old sayings like "Let a sleeping dog lie" and "don't go
     looking for trouble" come to mind.

     But look at what we have seen in the last few years to guns, ammo and
     yes, re-importing WWII HMVs.

     Would you rather be "pro-active" or teflon coated?

     The rest of us will closely watch how you all get along.

     Cheers,
     Jim Burrill