Various questions - jeep resto

From: Bob Kelly (rkelly@firstunion-reit.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 07:16:02 PST

Hello all,

Its me again, the guy that don't know nuthin'.

Before the questions, an update:

At this point in the continuing saga of my '42 Ford GPW work, I don't feel
like I have accomplished much. Mostly, I have just been taking stuff apart.
I have stripped my jeep to the frame/running gear. I have rebuilt the carb.
I have rebuilt the fuel pump. I have replaced the u-joints on front and rear
drive shafts. I plan to continue down to the frame and have it blasted and
repaired. The rest of the jeep is in my basement, in boxes to be sorted
through and cleaned/repainted at a later date.

Problems with frame that I can see:
- At least one rust-thru on bottom of left side near middle of vehicle
(appears to only be in that one spot).
- Heavy handed repairs to front frame rails near bumper gussets. Only the
top ones will fit, as the frame has been built up too thick.
- Front spring mount hole (non-anchored end, left side) is egg shaped. I
have'nt removed the rear springs as yet and don't know condition of mounting
holes.
- A spot or two that looks like it could hold a rivet.
- Otherwise, a very solid and "straight" appearing frame.

Plans for frame:
- Remove engine, trans, xfer, axles and all fittings.
- Grit my teeth and bear it as I get a bill from a local frame/body/truck
repair shop after it has been blasted, repaired and primed.

Plans for the rest:
- Engine has been rebuilt by previous owner (I'm told) and, at least before
I started mucking around with it, runs well. Has oil pan leakage so I will
replace that gasket.
- Transmission has also been "rebuilt" but is prone to popping out of gear
while in third gear. Will disassemble (remember that movie about that stupid
"Johnny 5" robot? "No disassemble!! No disassemble!!") the trans try and
figure out if there is anything to be done about that and replace a few
leaky gaskets.
- Xfer case is a bit leaky and will have some of the seals/gaskets replaced.
- Fuel lines to be completely replaced.
- Brake lines/flex hoses to be replaced and attached in a workmanlike
manner. Currently, they are not. A bit of a hack job. Master cyl to be
replced as it does not hold pressure. Silicoln fluid to be used throughout.
Wheel cyls are already new.
- Body tub - Even though many of you folks out there may not agree with me,
I believe it would cost me more to have the work done on my tub than to
replace it. I will likely get a full body kit and help to defray the cost by
selling the original tub and any left over parts. I also plan to sell my
very good condition Honda Goldwing GL 1100 (anyone interested?).

Ok, now for the questions...

1). Please advise on paint. Gillespie or Aervoe? I understand that enamel
was used on original jeeps. I am hoping for something that doesn't need alot
of SPECIALIZED treatment/prep/primer. I am hoping that I can clean/prep the
surface, apply a reasonably priced and quality primer, allow to dry, fix any
bad spots and begin applying a color coat that did not need excessive mixing
and additional additives such as thickeners, thinners, hardeners, softeners,
dulling agents, glossing agents, etc. Is it possible to simply apply the
paint directly from that can with only a small amount of thinner to allow it
to flow well? How many gallons for a primered jeep and frame? I'm thinking a
minimum of two gallons and a case of spray cans. Too much?

2). Who would be the best type of business to trust my frame to? A body
repar shop or a truck repair facility? Which could handle everything -
cleaning, blasting repair and primer?

3). I think I need a small cabinet blaster. All those small parts that are
just covered with paint and crap. Sure would be nice to do it myself. Any
suggestions on minimum requirements? I currently have a 5.5hp single stage
compressor. I know it will have a high cycle time, but I can live with that.
Any good companies to give my business to? What is the best kind of blasting
medium for general work?

4). I have seen ads for the "line kits" in MV mags and wonder if they are
worth it? I would have trouble identifying proper routing if I did my own
and it would be nice to have everything I need to do it right.

As I am always willing to listen to advise, if not actually take it, please
add any comments or suggestions. I am currently on hold as far as large
purchases are concerned until I can raise some funds so I am doing some
research and some planning.

Thank you all and have a nice day,

Bob K.