Ruined Restoration Job

From: Robin Craig (therobincraig@home.com)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 09:39:57 PST

This has been on my mind for a while and finally after letting fly at
someone in the UK I thought I should come out in the open about it and
get it of my chest.

For me, and it is my own opinion, when you see all the time and energy
people put into MV restorations and all the trouble they go to put
period kit and the like, why do so many people ruin it all at the last
moment. What am I talking about? CIVILIAN REGISTRATION / LICENCE
PLATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like to take photos of other peoples vehicles but nothing stops me
taking a picture quicker that the sight of that damn civvy licence plate
on the front of a WW2 Matador etc. This issue was one that I had to face
when I bought my MK 2/3 Ferret. I use it on the road quite a bit and at
night too, so I have to be 100% street legal with my rear plate being
illuminated etc. The previous owner had attached angle iron to a fender
and bolted it there, causing two holes to be made without reason.
STUPID.

My solution for my situation bearing in mind that flat steel surfaces
are abundant was to go magnetic. I obtained some magnetic sheet used for
door signs for vehicles, some Scotch double sided tape (one shot deal
stuff that wont come off without a lot of aggro) and put tape on the
back of my plates and then set them on the magnetic sheeting and cut
around them neatly. WHAMMO in less than 15 minutes careful work I have a
set of plates that are removable.

When I am on the street the front plate is displayed on the front of the
turret, and the rear one is over the mil numbers on the back of the hull
under the proper light for night running. When we stop at a show or
display the vehicle anywhere or are in a parade the first thing I do is
whip the plates off and slip them into a side bin and stick them to the
inside. No fuss no mess no bolts nothing.

After visiting Beltring in 97 and Pennsylvania in 98, I would really
urge people to think about this one, come on guys, how much effort did
you put into finding that special widget with the F script stamped into
it etc........ The WORST offenders are the Brits who make up civvy
plates for ex MOD vehicles with the civvy registration spaced as per mil
i.e. 34 KG 94. What a waste of effort.

Come on guys Im sure you can all do better if you try a little harder.

Ok , Im retiring to my flame proof bunker to ride this one out

regards

Unburdened Of Ottawa aka Robin Craig