RE: [MV] stick on letters/numbers

From: OConnor, Dennis (DOconnor@SIKORSKY.COM)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 11:48:37 PST

> These are very
> thin and have a paper backing on both sides. You peel off the
> paper on the
> back and stick it on the vehicle and smooth it out. Then you
> pull off the
> paper from the front and VOLIA, you have a clean white
> marking. If I can
> find the box in the piles of stuff here, I can give you the
> actual NSN #
> for them.............

        This professional grade material is still used today. Comes in
varying thicknesses, grades, and of course colors. Commercially available
but expensive and generally meant to go through the Gerber (or other
manufacturer) sign cutter that is run by a PC. The graphics man here at
Sikorsky uses them on current production helos for some things and as
stencils for other uses. Especially good for intricate designs like seals
(not the barking furry kind). Easy to work with after you get the hang of it
and "floating" it onto a wet panel allows for good mistake recovery.
        BTW the machine cut cardboard stencils someone reffered to are also
current use item around here too for different things for which you wouldn't
want to waste the time and money of the better process & material.

Dennis O'Connor