[MV] leaded fuel alternatives

From: Raimondo L. Torelli (thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 01:16:29 PST

At 22.20 12/01/00 -0000, RICHARD wrote:

>>AND, it will be probably granted lead fuel availability >>also when
completely banned from the market !
>> ... snip ...
>> Maurizio

>Don't bank on it !
>
>Leaded fuel is already banned, the EEC required it to be unobtainable from
1 Jan 2000 although some 4% of total >1996 sales is permitted.
There are _tested_ and proven alternatives which I can >check on for
availability in Italy if you want.

>Richard
>(Southampton UK)

Jan 13 2000

Richard
as per today leaded gas is still for sale here in Italy. We got permission
to use it for (IIRC) a 2-year period. However, I am interested in the
"proven and tested alternatives" you mention! What you did in the U.K. for
the huge number of HMV and old cars of collectors?

I do not have an HMV yet, but now I am afraid to buy one... (a Jeep and/or
an H-D WLA 42 are in my dreams!) too many problems and last but not least:
gasoline...

I have an FIAT 127 RUSTICA Mod. 1978, purchased in 1980 (two days after the
eartquake, I needed a new car!), I still have "her". FIAT just produced
5000 units. After 20 years it is a CLASSIC car, which does not give me any
advantage: I still have to pay road taxes, insurance, to pass emissions
tests (every 6 months!), to pass brakes etc. tests (every 2 years), but now
(year 2000) "she" is in the first level. After 28 years "she" will be
ANTIQUE (after passing some testing, of course!).
Well, I would like to save "her" even, if I cannot drive "her" daily:
Maurizio forgot to tell you that ANTIQUES cannot be used "daily" but ONLY
for authorized show/rallies... It is like collecting new postage stamps...
(I collect them!) you collect them but you cannot use them...! It is very
Italian, very stupid...! I have an Antique car and I cannot have the
pleasure to drive it... just the "pleasure" to have it, hidden in some
garage...
Sorry Maurizio, absolutely no offense to you, I refer to the Italian laws.
If it will happen that you will come to Naples, let me know: it will be a
pleasure to meet you (even if you have not your jeep with you!)!

Thanks Richard for any info!

O.D. is Much Better!

Raimondo - M.V.P.A. 15878