Dangerous field kitchens?

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 14:19:24 PST

Tom wrote:

>WARNING - FIELD KITCHEN STOVES ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS !

      Good advice from Tom.........However, so are matches when used
improperly. I would take issue with the implication that military field
ranges are too dangerous to use. In the example that Tom has given it is
apparent that there must be more to the story.........

>..........WHILE SERVING IN THE MILITARY, ONE OF OUR HIGHLY TRAINED COOKS
OPENED AN
>AIR VENT WHILE IT WAS READING 0 POUNDS PRESSURE TO FILL THE AIR TANK.
>THE GAUGE HAD BROKEN.................

      The field range used in the MKT Kitchen trailer and, for that matter
the Army, is a model M-59 which replaced the nearly identical M-1937 Field
range. The M-59 uses the M-2, M2A or M2A w/sd. burner unit. This unit is
designed to burn gasoline and uses the same air/fuel principle as the
common Coleman camping stove. The "air vent" used to add air to the
pressurized system is a simple schrader type valve such as your inner tube
would use. This valve cannot be "opened" without dissembling it and in
normal use is a one way valve (air goes in but not out). You can press in
the center to check air pressure as you would in a tire but as soon as you
let off the valve core it will close up. The only proper way to release
the pressure in the burner unit is to unscrew the fuel filler cap. Tom
stated that this solder was "highly trained" so I would assume that he was
familiar with the fueling up/servicing procedure where the burner is to be
taken to a designated fueling area that is no less than 50 feet from ANY
lighting and cooking area before the fuel filler cap was opened.

.............THE GASOLINE SPRAYED OUT .............

      The fact that gasoline sprayed out of a valve that can only accept
air IN indicates that something was improper here. Tom stated that the
pressure gauge was faulty and showed 0 pounds pressure and the cook was
attempting to add air with the pump. I would guess that what probably
happened was, the cook was pumping air into the tank and saw that the gauge
was not showing any pressure. He most likely then, thinking there was no
pressure in the tank, used the air valve cap to UNSCREW the air valve core
to clean out what he thought was a stuck valve. Without a valve core to
prevent the air/gas mixture from escaping, the fuel would have then been
able to spray out and the cook would have been unable to install it back in
time to stop the spray. Even though the gauge was malfunctioning the cook
could have just turned on the burner to see if there was any pressure in
the tank before pumping it up.

.............(gas sprayed) ....FAR ENOUGH TO BE
>IGNITED BY A STOVE 25 FEET AWAY.

      The MKT Kitchen trailer uses 6 M-2 burners. One each in the 2 M-59
ranges on the left side and 4 in the griddle and grille on the right side.
 The FIRST page of TM-10-7360-206-13 (Kitchen, Field, Trailer Mounted)
clearly states : "WARNING The model M-2 burner units should be moved a
minimum of 50 feet from the kitchen and the fuel storage area prior to
servicing" The FIRST page of TM- 10-7360-204-13 on the M-59 field range
and M-2 burner states the same warning.

     Had the cook followed proper procedure he would be alive today.

P L E A S E........ Don't misunderstand me here..........I'm not doubting
Tom or belittling the story. I just feel that the military field range is
getting a bad rap here. When used and maintained properly, and the
precautions in the manual are followed, they are as safe to use as the
common civilian Coleman camping stove.

           Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA
               Great Lakes Chapter MVPA