Re: [MV] Ferret Frolicks Vol. V - We Get Licensed

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 22:06:28 PST

>You may have heard of the title services that advertise in various
>publications like Hemming's Motor News and others. These services will
>obtain a registration (and title in some cases) for a vehicle that has a
>dubious or non existent "paper trail". The process is simple.

Indeed it is. I did this to my mitey mite over the summer.

>...... The advertise 5-7 day service!

Hmmm, mine took almost 2 months from the one in NH.

>New Hampshire is an easy state to deal with because they do not "title"
>vehicles that are over 10 years old. They issue a registration only,

What a concept, hey? If you think about it, titles are rather silly things
anyway, they are all about collecting taxes. I wish more states would do
what NH does, they are still going to get thier money, just why burdon us
with the constant title problems.

>... I smile some more (smiling is a good thing when you have to
>deal with these folks). I tell him that I will deal with that later, and
>all I really need today is to get the VIN on the registration validated
>against the numbers stamped on the hull data plate.

Smart move, only tell them what they need.

> All my paperwork is in order,
>and I've done business in the same office before. The ladies there are
>really good at understanding how this sort of thing works, and especially
>for "collector vehicle" licensing. I explain to the clerk that the Ancient
>One did not even read the NH letter explaining the title stuff, and the
>clerk says "No problem".

There is a guy in our local group that retired from the DMV. His biggest
words of wisdom, when going to the DMV, are DON'T SAY ANYTHING, let them ask
the questions and only tell them exactly what they are asking for, nothing
more, and no chit chat.

>I am very pleasantly surprised when the registration and titling process
>goes along with no hiccups. In short order I am out the door with my
>temporary license plate (they mail me the real one), fully registered to a
>green and black 1960 Daimler FV701 passenger vehicle! WE WON THE WAR !!!!

I chickened out and did my title and plate app to the state (after getting
the NH one) by mail. I figured one less way for them to ask questions. And,
it all worked, I now have a 1961 AMG Truck, period.

>It is VERY IMPORTANT to note that during this entire series of contacts with
>the License Gods, I did not utter the dreaded words MILITARY or ARMOR. I
>have absolutely no doubt that this helped make the process move ahead,
>rather than come to a very abrupt halt with a "What did you say? ARMOR?".

Yes, also Jeep, Mitey Mite, Mutt, etc. etc have no bearing on a title, so
just shutup! They are all trucks or cars, depending on percentage of
permanenet seating area (or something like that).

Congrats,

je