RE: [MV] Movie Time

From: Ian Wallace (iwallace@uswest.net)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 13:39:55 PST

Not to be a wet blanket, but...

A fellow thought it would be great to "lend" his classic car to a movie
production company. He was invited to the set to watch the shoot. He had
left his car off, and the actor was supposed to drive in up to the location
where the owner was.

The owner was really excited, and when he saw his car he got even more
excited - it had been overpainted! "No problem", said the director, "it's
water-based paint, and it just washes right off. I didn't like the way the
color looked". Meanwhile the now gasping owner is close to "having the BIG
one"...

Next, the actor grinds the gears, and jerks the car as he tries to
"smoothly" move off again. "No problem", says the director again. "There's
no sound on this scene, anyway, the Foley editors will add a nice engine
sound". No comment about the actor who has never driven a stick before.

The wner is still trying to get the "water-based" paint out of all the
cracks and crevices. There is STILL paint visible if you know where to look.
What had been a 95 point car had been abused and now was facing some mjor
work to get it back to show condition.

Now this might not always happen, but it CAN, so make sure if you offer your
vehicle up for a movie company you get IN WRITING a very clear understanding
of your remedies if they screw up something. The best of all worlds is to
allow yu, the owner/driver, to actually drive the vehicle in as many scenes
as possible, and MAKE SURE that any other operators know how to drive your
vehicle.

Ian Wallace, been there, done that
'46 Lincoln, stock outside, '73 T-Bird underneath - any bozo can drive it.
1960 Ferret which NO ONE is going to drive unless qualified BY ME...