HMMWV military 2-piece wheel O-ring

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 18:48:46 PST

[Note: cross-posted to both the Hummer Mailing List and the MIL-VEH list]

Does anybody know the specifications (inner diameter, outer diameter,
thickness, material) for the big O-ring used in the 8-bolt (bias-ply)
military 2-piece HMMWV wheels? I've found NOS military ones for around
$15 each, but it seems to me that suitable ones might be available for
much less from the friendly local O-ring store... if I knew what to
ask for.

I'd like to disassemble and inspect the ones which came with my
surplus M998 (and probably remove the runflats for now), and I also
plan to pick up another surplus military wheel (which will not include
an O-ring, runflat or lock nuts) for use as a spare. I already have 40
new locknuts on order. Thankfully, the military wheels use hex
locknuts, rather than the annoying 5-sided lawsuit-repellent ones on
the civilian wheels. :-)

Please forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I could not find this
information in the Hummer info database, and I didn't have my truck
yet (or even know that I was going to buy one) when the last mass
O-ring order happened on the HML.

Thanks in advance for any information.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/