Re: [MV] Saving Private Ryan

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 08:32:42 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Raimondo L. Torelli <thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: 17 January 2000 08:57
Subject: [MV] Saving Private Ryan

>There is a very good article on the making of the film together with info
>on the landing crafts, the Marders (they were ORIGINALS found in
>Czechoslovakia!)

After all the hype about accuracy, Moneywood makes the usual gaffes even with
the energies of Mr Spielberg behind it.

A 1950's Morris-Commercial MRA1 in German service on the Pointe du Hoc? I
suppose we were intended to mistake it for an Opel Blitz 3.6-6700A.

A Russian Ural motorcycle combination in close shot ? Plenty of genuine R75's
actually on set.

A Sd.Kfz.2 (Kettenkrad) marked as 7th Flieger Corps who were several countries
away and never ever served in Normandy.

Having gone to the trouble of faking Sd.Kfz.181's with sheet steel on T34's it
seems that T55's would be more to scale, plentiful and with the fake hull built
backwards at least the drive sprocket would appear to be at the front. Surely
Industrial Light and Magic could have dropped in some digital, overlapping road
wheels.

The use of a pair of P51D Mustangs was also wholly inappropriate together with
the impressive blow-up after a few rifle calibre strikes, Thunderbolts perhaps
but Typhoons more likely, admittedly the latter would need digitising.

Richard
(Southampton UK)