Dumb M998 HMMWV cargo bulkhead questions

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 23:18:31 PST

I'm a bit unclear about whether it is "correct" for my former-USMC
M998 HMMWV to have the cargo bulkhead installed behind the front
seats. Based on the left-over brackets and holes, it appears that my
truck was configured as a 4-door soft-top with a soft cargo area
cover, and that's the way I'll be outfitting it (basically, a 4-door
rag-top station wagon, for those of you less familiar with military
HMMWV configurations). It may or may not have had the wide cargo
bulkhead installed behind the front seats at some time. It does not
appear to have had the narrow bulkhead installed between the rear
wheel wells, behind the rear seats.

I've been told that the narrow bulkhead was used behind the rear seats
in 4-door vehicles, without a bulkhead behind the front seats.
However, my parts manual says the narrow rear bulkhead was only used
in slant-back armored trucks, and it shows the front bulkhead in place
in the 4-door soft-top parts diagram. The instructions for
installing/removing the 4-door soft top in my operator's manual show
no bulkheads in place. Of course, almost anybody who bought one of
those Riverside HMMWVs can attest that the previous owners were too
busy shooting holes in the floorboards to read the manuals. :-)

Based on any first-hand knowledge of how the trucks were shipped
and/or used, which option(s) are "correct"?

Of course, I'll probably just stick the wide bulkhead in there anyway,
so that I can quickly convert my truck between a 4-passenger truck and
a pickup truck in which expensive stuff falls out the soft rear doors,
and to keep the rear-seat passengers from getting too friendly, as
long as the bulkhead doesn't interfere with raising and lowering the
rear seat-backs. Especially since I already bought the bulkhead. :-)

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/