Re: [MV] Mew Military Jeep in the crare on Ebay

From: Mike (tankcity@globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 08:04:19 PST

For about three weeks now we in the UK have been receiving offers of new
Jeeps from the States. The details vary but they distil down to:
Approx 1000 pieces, lying on the E Coast. CJ3b, RH drive, Hurricane engine,
some military fittings. These vehicles assembled from new parts
manufactured in the US *before 1986*. Vehicles supposed to be covered by a
current Chrysler *world wide* warranty. Sounds like a scam to me or someone
talking out of his botty (English phrase). Apart from the fact that the
CJ3b was made by AMC, who on earth was going to stockhold the parts to
build 1000 Jeeps for around 25 years?? Even in 1986, you would have raised
a laugh walking into an AMC or Chrysler main agent and asking for a RH Drive
steering box. These Jeeps sound like Indian made Mahindras to me. They
built the RHD CJ3b type jeep for many years and it could be possible that
someone has a large quantity to get rid of. They didn't exactly race out of
the showrooms when Mahindra put them up for sale through appointed agents a
few years back. Indian made parts have a poor reputation for reliability.
The world has moved on since then and anyone attempting to import them into
the UK would face major problems homologating them so as to obtain UK
registration plates. I have been quoted $7,000 which sounds cheap for a
new car but I wouldn't want to give $2,000. I too have requested
photograph and country of assembly/manufacture - without any reply.