GPW restoration, more questions and update

From: Bob Kelly (rkelly@firstunion-reit.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 08:46:57 PST

Hello all,

Still playing with the '42 GPW that is in many, many pieces in my garage. In
a previous post I mentioned that I was considering a sand balsting cabinet.
I scavenged enough cash (more than my wife is aware) to get the Skat Blast
930 from Tip Tools. I live sorta near there and picked it up myself. Nice
folks, very helpful and seems like a good product. I didn't get the vaccuum
they sell and instead rigged my shop vac to it. Works fine at keeping the
work area clear but I need to work on dust filtration a bit as the vaccuum
spewed out copious amounts of dust. Works great as a blaster... tried it out
on a suitibly crusty med kit bracket. Looks great and only took a few
minutes. A word of advise... make sure your compressor is up to snuff as my
little 5.5 hp single stage Craftsman compressor is just barely adequate.

Also since my last post, I have disassembled both the transmision and
transfer case completely. Really cool to see the extent of Henry Ford's
excentricity with all the F marked component parts hiding in there. That
couldn't have been cheap to add those extra steps during production. I
wonder if he passed the cost of that back to the Gov't? Also, the Xfer case
still had leather seals. My goal to the disassembly was to 1). replace all
seals as it was quite drippy and , 2) clean and inspect for damage/wear.
Unfortunately, I did find that the transmission shaft main input ball
bearing assembly had a broken cage. It looks a though somebody had a little
trouble getting it back together and got a little frustrated and
heavy-handed. Of coure, the bearing assbly is pressed to the shaft, and I
don't have any presses or adapters lying around. I will likely take the
shaft to one of the automatic transmission shops around here and ask to have
them help me out. The transfer case is in much better shape and no real
damage or undue wear was found, but assembly is likely to be a bit of a
chinese puzzle. The main output shaft as some of you may know, has tapered
bearings with the outside races pressed in place. I suppose I may have to
assemble it as far as I can go and take it down to the shop where it can be
pressed into place to the right depth, tolerance and trueness.

My question is, do I really need to take it and have the work on the trans
input shaft and the output shaft of the xfer case done by a shop if I don't
have a press and adapters or can I carefully and judiciously use a hammer
and punch to tap things into place? What has been your experience,
distinguished listers?

Also, I am in the northeast Ohio area South of Cleveland and I am in need of
the temporary use of an engine stand. I want to remove the block from the
frame, clean it up and repaint it the proper colors. I am not planning on a
rebuild as it has already been done by the previous owner (and it ain't
broke, so I ain't gonna fix it). While the block is out I want to strip the
rest of the frame of its various parts and get it blasted, primed and a
small rust through repaired. I think it should only take a couple of months
or so and if there is somebody nearby who has one just gathering dust, I
would really appreciate borrowing it. There is some free beer of your choice
in it for ya.

Thanks all and have a nice day,

Bob K.