Re: [MV] GPW restoration, more questions and update

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 10:34:31 PST

Bob wrote:
>Still playing with the '42 GPW ..........
>............ I have disassembled both the transmision and
>transfer case completely. Really cool to see the extent of Henry Ford's
>excentricity with all the F marked component parts hiding in there.

    Not eccentric at all! GPW's came with a warranty and if the
Government returned jeep parts to Ford as having failed under warranty Ford
was under obligation to replace or credit them. Since GPW and MB parts look
the same a way to identify the part as coming from a Ford unit was needed.
Ford was not about to pay for replacing failed components from Willys
assembled vehicles. This practice of "F" marking components goes back
before WW II. For example, Ford "F" marked headlight bulbs on thier autos
to prevent burnt out non Ford lookalikes from being returned as failed Ford
ones.

 That
>couldn't have been cheap to add those extra steps during production. I
>wonder if he passed the cost of that back to the Gov't?

      GPW's were made under a "cost plus" basis. That is whatever the
actual cost of producing a 1/4 ton truck was the Government was charged
exactly that, plus Ford's profit (about $50.00 per vehicle). This produced
a bookkeeping nightmare as every time something was changed or added to the
jeep the exact cost of this had to be computed and added to the amount the
Government was charged. Of course this worked both ways if something was
deleted from the vehicle. In contract W-398-qm-11424 for example, the
omitting of the third US registration number on the rear panel lowered the
cost of the GPW's by $0.25 each.

......... the bearing assbly is pressed to the shaft, and I
>don't have any presses or adapters lying around. I will likely take the
>shaft to one of the automatic transmission shops around here and ask to have
>them help me out.

   Any good auto parts store that has a machine shop should be able to do
this for you and usually at less cost.

   PS.....Be sure to check that the trans bearing PN. 7065 is installed
with the baffle side turned outward.
  Units built prior to 8/24/42 (motor SN. # 61720) had the bearing baffle
turned to the inside. This was found to cause leakage and the bearing was
reversed on all later units.

           Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA
               Great Lakes Chapter MVPA