Re: [MV] Continental OA 331

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 06:54:52 PST

The M34 carried 1100 x 20 tires (as did M135 and as does most 5 tons). The
steel wheel is different between the single while and dual wheel trucks.
Also the hubs are reversed on the rear axles so the tires track correctly.
On M35 wide part of hub is out, other way on M34.
As for the OA-331, I have a truck with one of these engines...It is a M45
with LeRoi compressor. I bought the truck at a GSA auction, and it ran, so
other an oil change, tune up and new plug wires I did nothing to the engine.
The first time I drove the truck on the highway I become concerned about the
oil pressure being low (30 lbs or so when driving) after the engine was warm.
 So concerned I pulled over and changed the oil on the side of the road.
Engine didn't make a sound, whisper quiet. Drove another 30 miles, low oil
pressure again. Gauge barely move at idle. Parked the truck, replaced
sending unit and gauge. Same sitaution. Replaced gauge and sending unit and
changed oil AGAIN. The engine never made a knocking, no ticking, nothing, no
smoke. So no I ask my buddies at Memphis Equipment (30 miles form house), I
ask pretty muck everyone in the company I can get to listen, 5 parts men, 3
shop foreman, two mechanics, and they all say the same thing, "sounds like a
normal OA-331, keep driving it." So I have, this will be the third year,
still haven't done any motor work, still doesn't make any noise, still
doesn't show much oil pressure running, and VERY little at idle. It may use
two quarts of oil per year.

Did replace valve cover gasket, sometime in the past some one bent the valve
cover so it would seat correctly and had slight oil leak.

Engine doesn't seem to be nearly as powerful as the LDT. If you want more
road speed out of you gas burner, install the overdrive transmission out of a
multifuel truck.

Hope this helps,
David