GPW Head questions

From: Bob Kelly (rkelly@firstunion-reit.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 07:10:12 PST

Hello all,

This weekend, I spent a few hours cleaning and inspecting parts on a 42 GPW
with a replacement (postwar?) engine of the correct type and configuration
(its an L head). To clean, I have been using "solvent" - not gasoline, to
get the heavy stuff off and then sand blasting in my shiny new blasting
cabinet. I did a whole slurry of parts and one of the last was the engine
head. Although slow going, as I don't have the ideal air supply for
blasting, the paint and carbon has come off easily.

During the process, and admittedly, after I had already gotten that part
clean to the metal, I noticed a hairline crack from number three spark plug
recess (the crack doesn't extend all the way to the threads) to about an
inch to the right of the temperature sender threads. Up until this point, I
was in a pretty good mood... the wife wasn't bugging me, the radio was
blasting away, the garage was staying warm, and the blaster hadn't clogged
up for about three minutes. Spotting this crack really took the wind out of
my sails.

On the other hand, I have a Ford jeep with a Willys(?) block and a Willys
(for sure) head. The head said, and still does, "WILLYS" and "Jeep". It also
has intake and exhaust valve clearances, cold of I believe .014", as well as
the firing order. This was always a bit bothersome to me as the "WILLYS" and
"Jeep" markings on the head were very bold and immediately noticible to even
the most unschooled observer. I briefly considered replacing the head and
decided against what was (and I repeat, was) an uneccessary (for now)
expenditure of limited funds. Now that I believe I need one, I can replace
the head with a Ford head and no longer have the big "WILLYS" logo taunting
me every time I looked at the engine.

And finally, the questions...

1). Did I crack the damn thing? The sand blaster (actually glass beads)
isn't putting out THAT much production that it would have superheated a
spot, causing the crack. I haven't dropped it or roughly handled it. It is
cold in my garage though and I suppose it is possible that, in my ignorance,
I broke the stupid thing, costing me a couple of hundred dollars. What do
you all think?

2). Now obviously, I hope that one or a few of you, can point me in the
right direction to obtain a servicable FORD head. Again, FORD head. If I'm
replacing it, I might as well make it if not techically correct,
asthetically correct. NOS would be fantasmagorical, but a take-out would be
fine as well. As long as it is not cracked, the plug threads aren't
stripped, it isn't totally clogged with coolant rot, and it isn't warped to
an unservicable degree, I am interested. All reasonable offers will be
considered.

Thank you all in advance,

Bob K.
'42 GPW