Re: [MV] GPW Head questions

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 23:31:43 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: jonathon <jemery@execpc.com>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: 25 January 2000 03:28
Subject: Re: [MV] GPW Head questions

>>1). Did I crack the damn thing?
>
>I doubt it.

I very much doubt it too.

>>2). Now obviously, I hope that one or a few of you, can point me in the
>>right direction to obtain a servicable FORD head.
>
>There is a process called stitch something or other, I forgot, it's a
>pattened process that is guaranteed to fix any broken cast iron as stong of
>stronger than the original. I believe it originated in Europe.

This technique involves the machining of dumb-bell like pockets across the crack
and then fitting heated "stitches" to the pockets pulling the metal together by
contraction.

I do not know if this technique is applicable to very small scale repairs and in
a combustion chamber too, sounds iffy in this particular instance.

Richard
(Southampton UK)