Re(2): [MV] GPW Head questions

From: Gordon.W.I. McMillan (gwim2@student.open.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 03:00:46 PST

The UK company that did this stitching is / was called Metallock. I had
to use it on a GMC 270 that cracked when I remembered to drain the
radiator but not the block, and they fixed a large crack back into the
bellhousing no problem. Had to hire the chap on site for 1/2 a day at UKP
50 and he fixed a jppe block that was cracked round the distributor while
he was there.

It is quite capable of working in stressed areas like heads and combustion
chambers, the only real reservations I'd have about using it again would
be where the section thickness of the metal to be reparied meant that it
would be a waste of time, or where it would cost as much as a replacement
casting.

I remember a particularly impressive couple of shots of a large ships
engine and a set of railway buffers that had obviously been down to
shrapnel size before the rebuild.

Gordon