GOT MY TITLE (ALMOST)!

From: Bob Kelly (rkelly@firstunion-reit.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 13:58:24 PST

Hi List,

After some waiting (about three months from the filing), I have in my hands
a court order requiring the Title Bureau (specifically, the Clerk of Courts"
to issue me a title for my currently un-titled '42 GPW. The order does not
make any mention of inspections or verification by a police officer or any
of that stuff. I walked over to the Justice Center, picked it up and have
been assured by the lady I just called at the title bureau that the Order is
all I need to bring to them and they "will take care of it" and at that time
I may get plates if I so desire. The vehicle will be titled as a "1942 Ford
1/4 ton truck" with a serial number of what's on the frame.

I live in Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio and my experience with everyone
including my dealings with the Judge (Lillian Green), the county prosecutor,
the county clerk and even at the various windows has been uniformly
painless. Everyone I dealt with was extremely helpful.

In short, I filed a "petition for title for motor vehicle" which is just a
statement saying that I am me, and that I bought the vehicle (notarized bill
of sale - exhibit A), that it has never been titled in the state from which
I purchased it (notarized statement from the seller stating same) and that
the vehicle be issued title in the manner in which I require. The entire
process cost $75.25, not including $5.00 for the actual title.

If there is anyone in Cuyahoga County (or even Ohio) I will be happy to give
you examples of the documents I presented to the court. All statutes were
pulled off of the internet under Ohio Revised Code. The pertinent sections
are in para 6505. I should tell you all though, I am not an lawyer and
everyone's situation is a little bit different.

Now I can go and see what personalized plates are still available. "1942
GPW" would be ideal. If I have any problems, it is going to be when I try to
get the actual title document at the title bureau.

Yesterday, I could not spell "attorney", today, I are one! ;-)

Regards,

Bob K.