Value of an 1943 Intn'l M5H6 (/HEAK6130)

From: Cal (to_cal@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 15:21:23 PST

Hi. I'm a newcomer to this list, so I hope I'm doing this right.

I have (or maybe had) a Navy 1943 International HEAK6130--which, I'm told,
is a 'combat-hardened' version of an M5H6. The reason I don't know whether I
have, or had, the vehicle is that it's presently in litigation (a story by
itself).

My attorney tells me that I need to get an estimate of it's present market
value...and I couldn't think of group more knowledgable about that than the
subscribers to this list. So I'd really appreciate if you could take the
time to give me your opinion. My e-mail address is:

to_cal@hotmail. com (underscore between the 'to' and the 'cal')

A pic of it (with a few minor changes since the pic) can be seen at:

http://www.access1.net/thend/elg_side.jpg

(underscore between 'elg' and 'side')

Some specs to also help in your deliberations:

1. Gasoline Red Diamond 3??, OHV 6 cyl. (model with ~129hp, as I recall).
Runs well. Apparently a low time engine as the main and rod bearings only
have a couple 1/1000's of wear. Odometer at time of purchase was ~3500 mi,
currently ~3900 mi (paperwork found in it indicated it was stationed at Mare
Island, CA).
2. The outside coating of paint (Civil Defense blue and white) is lousy and
peeling. The underlying mil paint is fairly good, although there are some
'cracks' down to the undercoating. The body is in pretty good condition with
very little rust.
3. It has a 'brand-new'/rebuilt radiator, water pump, alternator (12V), and
starter, plus a number of new bearings and seals on the drive line and
several new brake cylinders.
4. It has a HD communications van on the back (it looks as though the Navy
adapted it from one of their shipboard vans).
5. There are Detroit Lockers in both rear axles and a PTO winch (with 160'
of cable) on the front.

There are some mods from stock (most are reversible):

1. Fiberglass top (orig. frame for cloth top available).
2. Lock-out front hubs (orig. plates available).
3. Two 50-gal side tanks replace the orig. side-mounted 35-gal and storage
bin--but I still have the latter).
4. Openings have been cut in the sides (~1/8" thick) of the comm van and
windows installed (15 sawzall blades per each opening). I still have the
plates that were cut out.
5. It has 'road' style tires, varies from good to modest remaining tread.
6. The insulators on the roof and all of the interior wiring have been
removed (some of it still around, including the main panel).
7. The are welded frames (1" sq. tube) that bolt onto the cab doors and
support side mirrors (installed) and a frame for side windows (not
installed).
8. There's a electronic tach (for 'training' new drivers <g>--no synchro in
any of the 5 fwd gears).

Any guidance you might be able to provide on it's fair market value would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cal