M-26 Pershing

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 06:03:53 PST

List,

Among other things, our Museum group is in the process of restoring a M-26
Pershing tank. It's going to be a long process, but we want to be as
thorough as we possibly can. It spent many years as a public monument, but
was apparently used overseas at some point in time. For some unknown reason
it had been painted red and by the time that we received it, it looked like
a large rusty red lump on tracks. The hatches had not been sealed well
during the time that it was a monument, so all of the interior data plates
have deteriorated to the point where they are illegible. There is a small
(3" x 5") metal plate welded to the front slope, just below the drivers
hatch. It reads:

ERGMEB GIEN (second letter may be an E or an L)
Chassis N° 370
Revise 4° E LL 1 4 .11. ?
???E (maybe) M.3.5/3 N.30

The gun breech has the following information stamped into it:

Gun 90mm M3 NO. 2708
ORD Dept. U.S.A.
WVT ARSENAL 1945
2265 LBS. INSP AGG

I am aware that there are list members who collect and categorize
information on Shermans, MUTTs, Ferrets, etc. I am hoping that there is
someone out there who does the same thing with Pershings. I would appreciate
any information/suggestions that anyone has. We are trying to establish the
history of this tank. Any suggestions about reference material or people to
contact would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

John

John Hutterer