ADMIN: Mil-Veh status update

From: Mil-Veh List Admin (postmaster@uller.skylee.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 00:04:59 PST

Mil-Veh subscribers:

I've been swamped by too much to do and too little time for
most of January, so I must apologize if you have tried to
contact me and I was either late in replying or I haven't
gotten back to you yet. I am hopeful that things will settle
down by mid-February, once I complete a couple of projects.

Some good news about the list: I ordered the upgrade to
MacOS X Server 1.2 on 17 Jan 00, and hope to have it soon.
It adds support for the G4, so I can finally move to the
superior hardware. I'll then purchase the latest version of
CommuniGate Pro (they released version 3.2 on Jan 18 and
3.2.3 on 28 Jan--it is probably stable by now). I'll then
start setting up accounts web space in preparation for the
move to the mil-veh.org domain. That won't happen until I
move to DSL, but that is now on the horizon.

Some of you have been unceremoniously unsubscribed by the
list software, most commonly those who use "free" e-mail
services like hotmail and yahoo. I'm sorry about that, and
have made some adjustments to the way the list software
handles "fatal" bounces. Free e-mail services tend to have
tighter restrictions on quotas and also experience quite
heavy mail loads, which can generate bounces. If mail to you
fails, you may still be added to a "bounce" list, but the
processing software should alert you to that fact and give
you a chance to resubscribe. Let me know if you still have
problems, and I may be able to tweak the config further.

I've been waiting for the new hardware to index the archive
and thereby provide freeform text searching. After MOSXS 1.2
is up and running, I'll update the archives back to the
start of the list and remove references to the old majordomo
commands, too.

Unfortunately, I have lost service thorough my ISP a couple
of times over the last two or three weeks. One time their
smtp mailer that I sometimes forward list mail though went
down, and another time one of their routers decided it would
no longer route. Needless to say, I'll be moving to DSL as
soon as possible.

That's it for now. I will try to get back to you on a timely
basis if you have problems or questions.

--Arthur <ack@skylee.com>
  Mil-Veh List Admin