M35's, local "gatherings", etc. etc. (lotsa questions)

From: Jason Barron (jdknetts@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 19:07:04 PST

Wow, Don't really know where to begin, but I've been on this list for just
over a week now, and all I can say is that it is one waaaay COOL list!

    First question then I guess: I have ALWAYS loved military "toys" as I
call them (specifically the tanks, trucks, half tracks and APCs), so when
after some random searching I came across olive drab, where I then found out
that a civie like me could OWN my very own Military Surplus Vehicle! More
searching revealed places to BUY the vehicles (restored- I'm not much of a
mechanic, though I do try to learn what I can) and, still more searching
revealed this list! Sorry, I digress- to get back to the main idea, while I
don't have the time or money to buy one now, I definitely plan on buying an
M35-A2 within the next two years, so, I have to ask the questions- what can
I do to prepare myself for this, what do I need to learn in that time, any
other advice that can be showered down on me would also be MUCH appreciated.
Then there is the next question: are there any groups, Military Vehicle
Associations, ??? around me (New Lenox, IL, about ten miles east of Joliet,
40 something southwest of Chicago) I also routinely ('bout once a month)
travel to near Ft. Wayne IN, and occasionally just east of Toledo OH...
Also, I've been noticing talk about a national convention at Aberdeen? (any
place I can get more details? Thanks)
Let's see, I think I've asked everything I planned to... Oh yeah! What are
some good sites to visit to look up more info on mil-veh's such as M35, M54,
M2 and M16?
Thanks y'all!
Jason Barron