M998 manuals & accessories needed

From: Mercer, Richard (RichMerc@norrell.com)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 17:19:59 PST

Hey list,

Should be getting one of those surplus USMC 998's in the next week or so.
Which manuals are needed to keep it healthy? Is a parts ID manual
available? I'll probably need the part number and everything to find the
manuals....

Second question: where do I order manuals from? Portrayal Press professes
to have some, but they haven't faxed me the list yet. What about the
Government bookstore? Are some available on CD-ROM? Sure would make it
nice just to print out the relevant pages for a repair and not have to worry
about getting your manual all greasy. Once again, all relevant order/part
numbers would be appreciated.

Question 3: anything I should look for as far as the condition of the truck?

Last question: Where are some of the best places to get mechanical parts and
accessories? My immediate additions will be:
Canvas top (is non-mil-spec ok?)
Seat cushions
Deep fording kit (snorkel, exhaust stack, throttle knob(?))
Brush guard
Winch
Machine gun mount
Machine gun (preferably 50cal sim fire - which model/version is
appropriate?)

If you know the NSN for some of these, I'd appreciate that info, maybe I can
get it on the cheap from the DRMS.

It's great to have a resource like this! Y'all are great.

Thanks,
Richard