230 manifolds successfully removed!

From: Gil Huguley (Gil@huguley.com)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 15:41:19 PST

List,
Thanks to all who responded to my request for help. Last weekend I was attempting to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds when one of the long bolts (the rear one) broke just below the head. I got all the other nuts & bolts off, but the manifold still would not slide off the remaining portion of the long bolt.
The consensus of the list was to use a combination of heat, prying, and drilling out the offending bolt.
What I did was drill down in the broken bolt about 1 inch and then heated the top half orange hot. I also heated that area of the manifold to a dull red. Then I put a lot of heat on the manifold next to the block around where the bolt goes into the block.
I wedged a screwdriver under the flange of the manifold and drove it in a little, then worked the top side of the exhaust manifold. I could see a little movement so I repeated the process 4 or 5 times. By then I could see I was definitely making progress so I got a big cold chisel and stuck it in the gap. I did not want to cut any metal with the chisel, just use it for a wedge. The manifold was definitely coming up after a few whacks on the chisel. I rocked it back and forth by hand and then could get a pry bar under the manifold flange. It was getting really easy. I worked it up and down a few times and reached over and lifted it off by hand.
I now have the head off (6 broken bolts, but 5 are sticking up high above the deck) and the manifolds off. Am liberally soaking all the remaining studs and bolts with Kroil and will have a go at removing the broken studs tomorrow.
Thanks again for all the good advice.
Stay tuned. "Film at 11:00."

Gil