Re: [MV] Alleged Unsafe Operation of Vehicle

From: JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 16:34:06 PST

Dan,
        I don't know Frank, but this is not an issue about whose side you
should be on. Again, no one has produced any information from a witness
that this actually happened, but it raises concerns. Professionals have
lapses in judgement, even if they are President of the United States, as we
all know. This is a safety issue. Frank needs to be prudent in how he
moves his vehicles, or who he chooses to operate them. I know the MVPA
can't expect everyone to toe the line, but anybody who is a representative
of the organization, especially on its board, has to be conscious of the
message sent by ANY action they take. If someone is out there thinking that
Frank Buck, in his tank, was unsafe at a certain time, that has to be
addressed. The further discussion about safety guidelines is very relevant,
and hopefully some clear synopsis of this thread makes its way back to
Frank. I've been trying to get in touch with some people who I know were
there to see what they have to say about this- there was an injury from an
armored vehicle, but I don't think it was related to this.

I don't know Frank well enough to bash him- like I said, I have yet to meet
him, and I make it a point to not bash anybody until after they have bought
me a beer. But I think the original question posed was valid, and safety
concerns are an EXTREMELY important and public part of anything you do with
something big and ex-military, regardless of your position in life, who you
are, who likes you, or who doesn't like you.