HMMWV with 3-Wheel Steering

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 01:10:17 PST

[Cross-posted to both HML and MIL-VEH]

So, I was rolling around under my recently-purchased former-USMC 1986
M998 HMMWV and lubing the zerks, and I found that the bolt holding the
left radius rod (like a tie rod, but sets the toe-out of the rear
wheels) to the chassis was very loose, allowing the rod to rattle
around. After jacking up the left rear wheel, I found that I could
easily "steer" it about 1/2". Yikes!

That would sure explain why the truck wanted to wander all over the
place on the trip home from the hangar where I've been working on it.
It would also explain why the left rear tire is worn out, while the
other three look pretty good. I tightened the bolt back up, and I
guess I'll be learning how to do a 4-wheel alignment soon!

On a brighter note, all four pairs of ball joints seem to be OK.

By the way, I posted some new pictures of my truck on my web page
today, with the 4-door soft top and cargo cover installed. Go to the
URL below, and follow the obvious links.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/