Re: [MV] Alleged Unsafe Operation of Vehicle

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 06:36:01 PST

Howdy list,
    On a positive note, I've already got the FM25-10 Basic Field Manual - Motor
Transport March 12, 1942 and FM 21-100 Basic Field Manual - Soldier's Handbook
July 23, 1941 along with the MB/GPW specific repro manuals. Are there any other
BFMs I should get that would deal with the proper operation of Vehicles in the
field. The Motor Transport deals more with deuce & a halfs. I'd like to know if
there's one for the MB/GPW that's out there or maybe even reproduced.

    I guess most of the CW reenactment guys don't have to worry about getting a
bad image or reputation, the hobby already has it. >=^( During my 10 years in CW
reenacting I've SEEN:

A) 1 guy rolled his horse into a 6 foot ravine, had to have the horse pulled out
of the ditch using ropes, kept riding without a Vet Check for the horse
B) 1 buddy had his horse shot by another cavalryman
C) 2 guys get shot point blank by muskets - BAD powder burns
D) 1 drunk guy commanding a 4 gun battery, I think obliterated would be a better
work
E) 2 events with live rounds found on the field (they immediately stopped the
event & searched everyone on the field)
F) 1 buddy shot by an acorn someone had loaded into their musket (luckily it
didn't even break his skin)
G) fireworks being used as airbursts drop and explode in a column of infantry
H) 1 buddy witnessed a bayoneting (luckily the guy deflected it to his leg)
I) 2 friends required stitches after they were deliberately hit in the head with
the butt of a rifle (one guy had over 20 stitches)
J) a firecracker war using bottlerockets & roman candles, scariest part was they
offenders (about 40-50 guys) almost hit our horses who were tied to a picket line
in the camp. (we didn't take part in the "battle", we were all trying to get some
sleep before the all-day tactical in the morning)
K) At a "battle reenactment" south of Atlanta, the weekend of the Rodney King
Riots, every "officer" & some of the NCOs I talked with had modern firearms & live
rounds ready. D*MN SCARY!!!!! Especially if you ever met these guys!
L) A crew wasn't properly swabbing the barrel of their cannon, halfway thru the
battle, they launched the CANNON RAMMER downrange. Luckily no one was hurt.
M) at least two occasions of rifle rammers fired during a "battle" but didn't hit
anyone.
N) hit by wadding from a cannon

    And people wonder why I haven't participated in one single battle in the last
3 years, only doing living histories, and working on my 1944 Willys MB. (see it
is MV related)

Later,
Brian Mead
1944 MB