Jerrycan query

From: Renaud OLGIATI (rolgiati@conexion.com.py)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 03:51:16 PST

I own a jerrycan, ex British Army (marked with the Broad Arrow, dated 1943)
which my father liberated in 1944 from a German Army depot at the
liberation of France.

It bears a little (1" x 1") sheet-metal plaque, painted red, clamped to the
front of the carrying handle with "80" in a circle.
I think this is an indication of the octane-rating of the content.

Question: was this add-on plaque a British or German accessory ?

TIA,

Ron the Frog, on the banks of the Paraguay River.

 You were only young once, but you can be immature forever.
   -- http://personales.conexion.com.py/~rolgiati/ --