M35 turbo question

From: Henry Fackovec (Fackovec@mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 10:54:08 PST

Hey all:

I recently installed a clean air kit on my M109, After working for two days
in the serious cold, I started up the truck, and found that the turbo does
not make the whistling noise that I expected to hear.

I assumed that I had a bad turbo, (i.e. bearing too tight or something). I
found that the turbo is free, and disconnecting the air cleaner side it will
suck in a -34 manual from the fender.

I chatted with Richard Greene when I was at Tobyhanna, he tells me that I
probably have what is called a "1D" turbo that was a later production unit,
and that this is normal.

The questions:

Has anyone else heard of this?

How do you identify a 1D turbo from a earlier one? ( I have 3 of them on the
shelf now, and I would probably put a "whistler" into the truck, if I could
tell which one is which.) (Sick, I know, but why have a multifuel, if they
can't hear you coming? <G>)

Thanks

Hank
fackovec@m151.com