Danger! Inflating Humvee Tires READ AND HEED!

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 19:36:06 PST

I like to work safely in whatever I do and when someone needed help in
mounting a Humvee tire, I thought I would pass on a terrific gadget to do
this. (Inflator Jug) After my posting came out, someone mentioned something
about the dangerous practice of inflating tires with flammable materials. I
started to say something about that this afternoon but thought about it
again and didn't. Now some of you are talking about acetylene and then
saying a disclaimer about it that you don't recommend it or at your own
risk. Many years ago there was some practice of this but thought people had
learned better. I want to say this so READ AND HEED! YOU DO NOT EVER USE
ACETYLENE OR ANY OTHER SUCH FLAMMABLE MATERIAL OR GAS TO INFLATE ANY TIRE AT
ANY TIME! Unless you are a chemist or otherwise and understand in what
quantities you are doing, you would be/are building a "tire bomb" and
exposing yourself to high risk as well as others. I know what an acetylene
bottle can do to a 3000 SF house that was ignited somehow. (No one knows
exactly because it was instantly turned into a vacant lot with a deep crater
in the middle) There wasn't a piece of the house left larger than a toaster
after the dust cleared and no traces were ever found of the people inside.
This is fact and happened right here in Knoxville, Tn. some years back.
Large tires are dangerous enough to inflate (ask any truck tire place!)
without people explaining to others about building potential "tire bombs".
I only hope you folks STOP talking about this practice, and also the "old
timers" who told me about this said it didn't work all the time either.

  Now, the device I WAS talking about is called a "Tireflator" and sold in
other trade names. It is a large air bottle with a 1 1/2" neck with a
nozzle that flares out like a "dustpan" and when inflated to 125 PSI, it is
released into the bead of the tire and blows the tire on the rim instantly
and inflates the tire to some small degree (4-7 PSI). I'm sure it is also
not without some risk but it's the best I've ever seen. Most all truck
tires are done this way. Now lets talk about safety on these tires; if you
aren't sure of mounting your Humvee tires, (or any others for that matter)
I strongly recommend that you take them to a tire store and pay the $12.50
or so to mount them. Maybe your weekend won't be ruined either! In hoping
this will save some poor misguided soul, Julian Burke