Re: [MV] M-35 A-2 C

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 09:35:45 PST

"Todd Logan" <bugdaddy66@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The air over hydraulic brakes work very similar to the power brakes on your
> car, they just use air pressure for boost instead of engine vacuum
> (something in short supply on a diesel engine). That's why you do not need
> an air brake endorsement on an M35.

I see another side to this one: Since the brakes are not quite air
brakes, but aren't quite regular brakes, either (i.e., the braking
system has most of the same components as a regular air brake system,
and requires most of the same special treatment, such as draining the
tanks, not feathering the brakes, and watching the air pressure), you
could probably convince the DMV that you *do* need an air brake
certification as easily as you could convince them that you don't. So,
if you happen to live in a state where you need a class B CDL anyway
(like I do), you might as well get the air brake certifcation while
you're at it. It might come in handy if you find a great deal on a
slightly-used HEMMT... :-)

I have a class B CDL learner's permit, which means that I've taken the
written tests and gotten the medical card, but I haven't taken the
on-road test yet. I took the written air brake test just for the
helluvit, and managed to ace it with some common sense and information
I learned as a matter of course while working on my 2.5-ton, such as
air pressures, etc.

Just my $0.02 worth. Any comments?

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/