Re: [MV] Windshields down

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 10:43:10 PST

In all fifty states it IS legal to drive with the windshield down, with one
caveat. ALL people in the vehicle with the windshield down must have eye
protection which could be simple eyeglasses or proper goggles. Think
motorcycle, most have no windshield (which negates the need for eye
protection on a bike as the windshield IS the eye protection). I ride in a
friends Jeep with the windshield down and he won't move until everyone has
eye protection on after an argument with a State Trooper on the subject. I
was in the vehicle at the time of the stop and The Trooper stated I was
legal (I wear glasses to see well over 50 feet) but he wasn't as he had no
eye protection on. Put it another way..........think about you filling out a
insurance claim form after a passenger gets a bug in the eye at 35 MPH!! And
I have had this tried bye the police too when I mentioned the "we are legal
as we have eye protection on". The reply was "Oh Yeah? well where's your
helmet?" Whereupon I requested he carefully read the registration that
stated this is a Jeep not a motorcycle. He had to request advice from higher
authority to discover we were indeed compliant with the law.

James Shanks
The Line Below is my Ham Radio Callsign
n1vbn@bit-net.com
The line below is my Ham Radio Packet Address
n1vbn@N1VBN @ WB1DSW.NH.USA.NOAM