French innovations to mil-vehs, fantastic!

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 21:51:25 PST

What a fantastic concept.... it was so simple!

I was determined to get my dash lights working on the SUMB troop carrier, so
I finally tore into the dash. A piece of cake. It is made up of 4 boxes
that are near equal size, maybe 5" X 6"X 8" deep. Each box can be removed
separately via a single spring loaded latch lock on one side.

The wiring underneath fits in like a computer socket, each socket containing
maybe 8-12 different wires, depending on its job. The sockets are held in
place with a flip latch that tightens down as you lock it. Each box contains
things like gauges, switches, etc. Quite ingenious in its lay out.

All internal components within each box are accessible by removing a few
screws. Take the top off and there you have the wiring inside. No printed
circuits either, all hard wires and as basic as you can get. I was truly
impressed by its simple efficiency. Dash lights were repaired and working
in minutes thanks to such easy access.

Do we have such things on the US military trucks? If we don't we could
surely learn from the French!

It was almost too easy... I have not enjoyed working on a vehicle like this
since prior to the invention of ribbon wiring.

Jack