Re: [MV] Vehicle Display Security

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 11:31:34 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Bell <tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: 22 February 2000 16:35
Subject: Re: [MV] Vehicle Display Security

>You could try a length of rope with some steel spikes - easy to put up -
>easy to take down - flexible. Knock the spikes into the ground at required
>spacing and tie rope to top of spike.

Yup, this is the normal way here and cheapo lengths of re-bar make excellent
supports with one end pounded (hammered) into a U shape and then strung with
decent size and inexpensive poly rope. The flimsy plastic tape does not seem to
have the same "authority."

>I've found it to be a fairly effective way to stop most people.
>
>That said there'll always be one person who ignores the rope and tries to
>climb onto the roof of ones vehicle....

There is always one.

>Remember, ultimately the best security is to ensure someone stays guard over
>your vehicles at all times, and that there's nothing that's not bolted or
>chained down, because it will walk.

We arrange to have several vehicles in one "plot" and so there is always someone
in the associated entourage that wants a rest and a cup of tea so can stand
guard.

>On another occasion I returned to my Jeep to find 12 Brownies

Ah, check your US/Eng dic Tim, that doesn't compute ! Similarly Beavers. (sub
Cub Scouts)

Personally with a slightly dog-eared, off-roaded big truck I'm happy permit if
asked and to invite clambering as most of the small, and grown-up kids too, are
tired of being warned off, but although we don't suffer lawyers at dawn here for
the merest personal scratch I still exhort parents with the dangers and point
out the many greasy/filthy bits, they get their kids into the thing and out
again. However bounding about a spare field with a load of kids and parents
does do wonders for PR.

Richard
(Southampton - England)