1945 Alligator]

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 12:40:24 PST

>Glenn wrote:
>> If you want to see a WWII running Alligator, come to the Tobyhanna Rally
where Frank
>> Buck brings his, along with a lot of other WWII vehicles.

       The LVT 4 that was at the Tobyhanna rally was Dave Yamulla's and not
Franks.

>> "Robert D. Brooke" wrote:
>> > .........The Amphibious Vehicle which was *KEY* to this amazing
operation is an
>> > LVT-4A "Amtrac", sometimes called an "Alligator". ...........

          Just a clarification..........The FMC built LVT 4 unarmored and
the LVT 4A are "Water Buffaloes". There is a plate on the bulkhead that
states this along with a drawing of a water buffalo right on the data
plate. Although there may be many other nicknames for these, the name
applied by the factory is the correct one. Tom Price's and Frank Buck's
LVT 4 both have these and so does Henry Vanetta's LVT 4A.

>> > If anyone has a good picture of these wonderful monsters, or knows
>> > where to find one, I would appreciate it, since the picture I have of
>> > them at the camp is of poor quality. Or if anyone *has* one, I would
>> > be interested.........

     Henry Vanetta has an LVT 4A that he is restoring in his museum in
Hubbard, Ohio. Jacque Littlefield and Brent Mullens also have one.
      An interesting note, The original paint color of Henry's LVT was a
light blue and not the green that is commonly thought these were painted.

--Jim

Jim Gilmore 2565 Wiethoff, Inkster, MI 48141
1-313-561-8826 <voice> * 1-313-730-1652 <fax>