Re: [MV] Thanks for the fuel additive info.

From: T. Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 09:43:55 PST

>mil
>distributor in your 715 has no vacuum advance/retard dashpot like most
>civilian vehicles, so you are relying on the springs alone. Many of us time
>our vehicles by working the timing so that it just starts to ping under
heavy
>load, then stop and back off the advance a little bit to be right at peak
>efficiency without ping.

A M715 with a civi distributor (one with the vacuum advance) would
make the motor more suceptable to knock given the same inital timing point.

As you work your truck, the vacuum drops, retarding the timing, but it
doesn't quite get
down to the timing the mechanical advance alone gives you. The original
civi and military
mechanical advance curves were the same from the factory. The civi one
added more via the vacuum diaphram.
The vacuum can give you some added mileage, but you really should
recurve the entire distributor (centrifugal and vacuum) to better match
todays fuels.

Personally, I like the sealed distributor, wiring, plugs, etc. With our winter
salt use, its great that I can hose down the motor and not worry about the
electrics.

I've found that better gas (such as it is), slightly retarding the initial
timing,
keeping the 30 degree advance of the original distributor works best
for us. My motor has the original harden seats, etc, so we don't use any
additives.

Opps....Ok, I do use some "dry-gas".

        If you can, let me know what you come up with.
                Ted.