Re: [MV] wiring harness

From: Richard Tait (rtait@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 09:13:15 PST

The wiring harness would have to be quite different. A voltmeter will measure the
vehicle's charging voltage and only needs to be hooked up between any live 24 volt
line and a ground, usually a terminal on the instrument panel.

An amp meter must be hooked in series between the vehicle's charging system and
the entire electrical load seen by the charging system. The wires going to an amp
meter are of a heavier gage than for a voltmeter because considerably more current
is flowing through them. A "blown" amp meter will open the electrical circuit and
can render most, if not all of the vehicle's charging system inoperative.

I prefer voltmeters because the vehicle will still charge even is the voltmeter
goes dead. When I have added an electrical system monitoring gage to a vehicle,
it has always been a voltmeter. Most later "M" series vehicles have voltmeters.

Matt Tait
Fullerton, CA