Restoring/derusting troop carrier

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 20:12:47 PST

Today's task: Rust removal and fix broken window crank. SUMB troop carrier.

An internal part had broken on the driver's door window crank and I was left
high ....
no parts for this exotic import. So I reluctantly tore into the door. Note:
 R.R. Services of the UK sold the vehicle and advertises parts for their
SUMBs and other mil-vehs, but the service as far as I am concerned seems to
end at the point of sale, but that's another story.

On the brighter side of this SUMB ownership is, every repair I've done to
date says this vehicle must have been built by people who had to service
them!

This was an interesting system for a raising and lowering the door window.
Imagine 6 thin sprockets sandwiched and staggered (three to a side) along a
30 inch vertical, flat, steel post. At the top of this 4"X30" gear track is
the window crank... turn the crank and turn all the sprockets interlinked
below! That action causes the window mounting bracket with teeth that match
the sprockets, to neatly run up and down the track. What an ingenious piece
of engineering, I've never seen anything like it before.

I am sure at one time or another we have all fought to get at those long
scissors arms crowded within the door that takes a contortionist to reach.
This window assembly was just a long strip of metal with gears and did away
with the scissors and left plenty of working room! Simple, efficient and
virtually fail safe, except for this fluke with the cranking handle.

Normally, if this item broke you would just remove the access/inspection
panel on the door, take out just 4 retaining bolts for the cranking assembly
and then remove - replace the whole kit with a new one. About 10 minutes
work. But, thousands of miles from the nearest French SUMB parts supplier,
one must improvise.

So I was forced to drilled the rivets off the errant crank housing to see
what had happened inside. I immediately discovered a broken lock washer.
This one affixes the first sprocket to the crank and has "lock down tab" to
make the hand crank and sprocket all turn in unison. Without this little tab
the crank spun freely, not engaging the gear.

I replaced the defective washer with a flat washer of similar dimensions and
bent down one end and fashioned a tab with a file and wallah, c'est figé.. it
is fixed! I took a little extra time reassembling and applied generous
amounts of graphite grease to the wheels and screws, now it works better than
new.

The interior of the door was showing some light surface rust near the very
bottom, not uncommon for mil-vehs, so I used "Extend" rust remover that
changes the rust into a non-corroding surface and seals it against further
rusting. I highly recommend using the Extend product for a quick and easy
fix for rust. Extend turns black in a few minutes, so be prepared to repaint
affected areas.

R&R window, R&R window cranking mechanism, clean, derust and seal... 1.5
hours.

The best part... no busted knuckles or skinned up hands, it was a straight
forward repair. I've never considered the French as particulary clever car
builders, so this truck has proved a pleasant surprise. Bon pour vous France!

Jack
Ferret Mk 23
SUMB

P.S. If anyone wants pics of the SUMB let me know... it's Sumb fun truck!