RE: [MV] Some sand-blast answers

From: Henry (henrya@jps.net)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 09:11:02 PST

Hi
Ya, that's plenty big enough to run a 1/8" up to 1/4" or maybe 5/16" nozzle.
At 5/16", your pressure will probably not be real high, but in the size
range above, you can really put out some sand and work fast. My portable is
a Jaeger 150 rotary.
I wouldn't worry about an extra tank with that much volume available. The
tank is just for smaller compressors to help with reserve capacity, they
need to shut down and catch up once in a while if running a very big volume.
Yours will keep up fine. Does your sandblaster have a back-flush valve, to
put pressure only through the pot and blow out wet sand or small plugs? If
so, that will solve any water problems. If you're getting to much water, you
can set the valve part way closed and put a little extra pressure in the pot
to force the wet sand through the valve.
It's important to make sure the sand isn't contaminated with large stuff or
wet, gooey, stuff. If using sand from bags, it's usually pretty close to the
size advertised, but if re-using media, make sure to screen it thoroughly,
and keep it dry.
If you get a plug that's to large to force through the valve with the back
flush valve, you need to take the tip off, close the by-pass valve, open the
sand fill valve, put an air hose to the nozzle end and back flush with high
pressure air until the plug comes flying out the sand fill opening.
Hope this helps,
Henry