Re: [MV] WWII Vehicle Radios

From: INDUSTELE@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 15:42:13 PST

Jim, getting info on old radios is pretty hard. It's not that folks don't
know, but the radio folks speak a different language than you and I do and
it's difficult to get anything out of them, except series of numbers and
letters that are so much jibberish.

The two that I know of (of the apparently hundreds) are the SCR-510 and the
SCR-610 which are both AM - short ranged (approx 35 watts) tactical radios.
This is what the FT-250 mounts I am reproducing fit. (And that's ALL they
will fit that I know of.) the SCR (Signal Corp Radio) 510 is made up of the
BC-620 Receiver/Transmitter and the power source (PE-120) or the Battery Case
BA-41. The SCR-610 is the same battery case or power source and the BC-659
receiver/transmitter. I -- THINK -- I understand from one of the radio guys
who bought a mount that the mount will also fit SOME other radios, but I
don't know what they are.

There are two pretty good links you may want to try

One is Military Radio and Vehicle Locators Guide at:

http://www.qsl.net/w9tad/index.htm

The second is a really neat site out of England that has some US stuff, but
they have an on-line version of the TM 11-2715, which is the book you and I
can understand about WWII radios. This is sponsored by Army Radio Sales is
located at:

http://www.armyradio.co.uk/publish/tm_11-2715/tm_11-2715.htm

Cruise through the TM 11-2715 and see what you like. BTW, I am making some
of the Brackets they list as well as the FT-250 mount. I have the FT-419 and
FT-420 "bracket (support legs)", FT-422 "brush guard", and the FT-429
"Reinforcing Plate".

Good Luck with your quest. The SCR-510 and SCR-610 radios are out there, but
they are getting scarce and expensive.

Tom Campbell