Re:[MV] Paint

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 16:39:48 PST

Jamie,
Well, don't count me in as a flamer, cause I agree with you in that the paint
job should be simple. The mud and scratches, well that's your choice. When
we did a complete bolt-by-bolt restoration of my 1945 MB, I went to extremes
when it came to the paint job, individual painting of nuts, bolts and washers
after beading them, and I also saw to it that there was a very minimum of
over/under spray when I did the stenciling. Due to all of the original
markings
being long gone (you could see the deep marks made when the hood numbers
were ground off), I copied the markings on the Jeep my father-in-law drove in
WWII. Luckily, he had several good pics in the family album. Now you know
I was proud as a Peacock when I got to show him the finished product. Well,
ole Jim walked around my MB justa shaking his head, then he proclaimed:
"Joe, that's quite a Jeep you have there, but we never drove anything this
nice." That was it...No more show car stuff, just be neat and original as I
can get with a military vehicle. Some of us tend to over restore; I see it
often
in restored antique Fords and stuff. I have no quarrel with those that like
pristine vehicles, whether military or civilian; to each his own.
Joe Young