Re: [MV] Sandblast alternative Pressure washer?

From: Renaud OLGIATI (rolgiati@conexion.com.py)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 07:50:02 PST

At 09:19 01/03/00 EST, you wrote:
>*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
>Has anyone ever had good results using a pressure washer and one of those
>sand blast attachments? I heard a 3000 psi pressure washer and a sand wand
>would work but will this settup remove paint and underlying rust? Seems
like
>a safer option than s andblasting.

Been there, done that, may have a T-shirt somewhere ;-)

It works, BUT unless you dry the part straight away (and I mean within
minutes) and apply a passivating agent, surface rust appears on your
newly-cleaned steel with incredible rapidity.

My advice is its OK to use it on small parts that you can straight-away put
to dry in a warm oven (hope SWMBO does not read this) or dry with a hot-air
blower, but impracticable for body-shells, chassis, etc.

Cheers,

Ron the Frog, on the banks of the Paraguay River.

            We have met the enemy, and he is us.
                                   -- Walt Kelly
   -- http://personales.conexion.com.py/~rolgiati/ --