Re: [MV] Atlanta ZERO (was RE: L-?)

From: Product of Alkett (sturmtiger1944@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 21:58:19 PST

> "Of course, I can't close this email without noting
> the RUMORED japanese Zero
> in Atlanta. It's kinda like the "jeep in a crate"
> It goes kinda like this
> "Hey,
> did you know there's a Zero in a warehouse off of
> peachtree street. (there are
> about 30 peachtree streets here) Yeah the guy took
> it apart & is going to
> restore
> it..." Closest thing I've seen to that is a mockup
> Japanese torpedo bomber at
> Eagles Landing."

Well, I must disagree with this. I quote now from Phil
Butler's "War Prizes", a very fine book devoted to the
histories of nearly every axis aircraft captured by
the allies and tested by them.

This Zeke was transferred from TAIC ( Technical Air
Intelligence Center ) to "The Navy's Flying Might", an
air unit stationed at NAS Wildwood in October of 1945.
This unit was tasked with providing air shows
throughout the United States to aid in the Victory
Loan promotions. During a landing at NAS Atlanta in
Georgia, the Zeke suffered a ground loop and was
written off. The remains of this plane sat in an
antique business on Peachtree Street, in Atlanta, GA.
It was bought by R.D. Wittington of Ft. Lauderdale,
FL. This aircraft may be C/n 5356 ( Constructor's
number 5356 ) which was on roster as an unrepairable
aircraft to be sent to England.

Hopefully this will provide useful data and confirm
other postings of a like nature.

Best,

Ed
Hikoki:1946