Pioneer trailer

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 10:31:38 PST

Esteemed Listers, lollygaggers, and acknowledged champion debaters of OD
paint in all its authentic hues and lusters:
I posted something on this last year and never got a big response, so I
thought I'd try it again.
I have acquired a nice clean almost new Pioneer trailer, 3/4 ton M116a1.
I have it in use temporarily as a farm utility tool trailer, but I have
visions of fitting it out as a convoy follower, ie, a roving workshop for
trail rides and such. The trailer interior was stripped when I received it,
but there are a few clues to its former contents. It was a signal corps unit,
and my best guess is that it carried tools for pole work, laying out commo
lines, erecting antennas, etc. There was apparently a generator or compressor
mounted at the rear behind the back doors. Anyone know which?
Creating my ideal support trailer would require some semi-permanent changes,
like installing tool boards, different holders, compressor, exterior racks
and hold-downs, and work lights. I would not be modifying the basic trailer,
but before I commit to this project, and begin drilling holes, allow me to
ask once more if anyone has anecdotal or written info on Pioneer units and
their equipment. I'm curious about the origin of the name, the probable
missions in combat situations, and the distribution schemes that decided who
got these. I'll also value info about original equipment, any available
photos, or historical text sources.
Help me before I devalue something out of ignorance. If these have no special
significance, I'll consider that as a green light to move ahead with my
project. Every time I think about drilling a hole or making a change to this
unit, I think about all the butchered M100 trailers that would be worth gold
today if they had remained intact. Folks turned the little guys into
everything from dirt haulers to mobile farm stands, and there are but a few
unmodified ones left. If my pioneer unit is not of that ilk, and will never
have more than a passing curiosity value, I may decide to do this. Mine is
the smaller of the two 3/4 ton units, the one with the full rounded top
covers and ribbed lids. It's a bit shorter than the other variant, which has
a flat area on top between the door wings. It was destined for cutting up to
get a frame and box for a dump trailer, when I acquired it in a parts
trade. I have scanned photos if anyone is curious.
Thanks guys!