Re: [MV] Diesel Fuel Spray Warning

From: steve shaw (gyrene37@webtv.net)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 03:58:12 PST

I've often wondered about the trigger locks on gas pumps (or lack
therof). When the trend toward "self service" (read higher gas prices
with less service to the customer) started, some states legislated
against it altogether. In 1995, I was on a trip through the western
states and I think it was in Oregon where I jumped out of the RV and
started pumping gas as usual, and the attendant came out and told me I
couldn't do that - it was against the law in that state. Other states
allowed self pumping, but required that the trigger locks be removed. I
often wondered why - I guess a pimply-faced 16 yr. old high school drop
out can better be trusted with that sort of "high tech" equipment than
the motoring public. Here in Indiana, trigger locks are allowed, but
usually the pump I pick has it broken off so that I have to stand in the
cold, freezing rain and pump 80 gallons while wondering if the VISA will
stand it once more.
One more "rant" - do you remember when gas prices went over $1.00 for
the first time? They got up to $1.20 or so and then when they came back
down to 99 cents, we all accepted it and were elated to pay the lower
price again (which was actually a 25% increase over what we had been
used to. Well, get ready for the same thing - We'll suffer 6 months or
so of $1.50 or higher and then when prices drop back to level out at
around $1.25, we'll be happy to pay it.

Steve Shaw
'51 M-37 s/n 80011547
MVPA #20317