M37 Progress Report & Head Questions

From: Lisa (jeepcj8@home.com)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 16:21:25 PST

Barry removed the head from his M37 this weekend.The block,
pistons, cyl walls, and valves look good, so he de-carboned
them. The head gasket showed carbon leakage between cyls 5 &
6, and the seller did tell us there was a problem there. I
spent time experimenting with various colors of Arvoe in the
spray can. Looks like M.C. Green is the color for his M37.
Today I went to wire wheel his head bolts and discovered
many were unservicable due to corrosion. My questions are:
1) Can we convert to studs in the block, and 2) Should the
top surface where the head bolts make contact be surfaced so
that is is even and paralell to the head surface, or 3)
Should he buy a new head and head bolts? Also, is there any
way to prevent this corrosion, or were the previous owners
negligent about antifreeze and flushing/replacing coolant
regularly?
Thanks all,
Lisa