RE: [MV] HELP! Reality check on M8 Greyhound Purchase

From: Ian Wallace (iwallace@uswest.net)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 19:41:49 PST

About the title for the M8 - I don't think it would be a big problem. I
bought my Ferret (never, ever been titled and did not have import papers)
and did not get a bill of sale immediately. All I needed to do was to
contact a "title service", and:

1) "Sold" the Ferret to them, and they
2) Applied for title in New Hampshire in their name (NH does not issue
titles for vehicles 1988 or older, only a registration)
3) They "sold" it back to me, and sent me a notarized bill of sale (with the
stated cost on it), and a NH registration showing the Ferret as a 1960
Daimler FV701H.

It took me less than 15 minutes to get my collector's license with this
paperwork, no questions asked. I had the license plate in two days, and the
title in a week and a half. All this without a bill of sale from the owner!
Scarey, but true... Hey, I wonder if I could get my neighbor's Corvette
titled to me the same way?...
Anyway, it works well, and little, if any, risk, in my opinion. I was
impressed with the thoroughness and timely response of the title service.

By the way, I also paid "cash" - cashier's check.

Ian Wallace
1960 Ferret Mk 2/3