2AO42 engine with Colt tranformers

From: Gary Byrd (byrdhouse@netease.net)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 18:55:21 PST

Hello friends,
     I'm currently working on a 2AO42 engine with Colt Industries transformers on both sparkplug wires. I've worked on several of these engines but none with these. My TM's don't cover engines so equipped. The wire from the sparkplug to the transformer is same a mil-standard, only shorter (6-8 in.). The wire from the transformer to the magneto looks the same as standard but has a 3 pin connector on each end. The magneto is missing on this engine. Does this setup use a special magneto, or does an adapter make the connection to a standard magneto. Why are the tranformers used? What would be the result if I removed the transformers and used standard magneto and plug wires? Thanks for any info. BTW, this engine is on a mule with upgrade kit.
Keith Byrd