Re: [MV] M43 Question/Considerations

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 14:43:35 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: OConnor, Dennis <DOconnor@SIKORSKY.COM>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: 09 March 2000 20:18
Subject: [MV] M43 Question/Considerations

> Question part - We began looking at the M43 (1953 M37 Ambulance) now
>that the snow is gone. It looks like someone started to try and make it 12V
>so we aren't sure of the plugs and wires on the engine. They look civvy to
>us but may be acceptable for the 24V. Does anybody know the crossover number
>for a regular Champion plug (installed I think) or any manufacturers for the
>24V system? Would regular spark plug wires be OK?

Perhaps we can scotch this one for ever, it has come up recently before.

The vehicle electrics can be 6V, 12V, 24V or whatever, it makes _absolutely_ no
difference whatsoever to the electrics down-stream of the coil and so no
difference to the plug wires or plugs.

Attributing the vehicle electrical supply as a spark plug and HT lead parameter
is totally irrelevant, for example consider engines with no electrical supply
and fired by a magneto, from chainsaws to large aero engines, both of which have
self-contained HT (spark) generation.

The "coil" (single winding) is actually a transformer with (two, individual)
windings so arranged in size and turns-ratio to provide several tens of
thousands of volts from its input pulse of whatever voltage it was designed to
use, be it 6, 12 or 24V, the term "coil" is a hang-over, and strictly incorrect,
from the very early days of low voltage ignition when a simple coil was indeed
used with a moving contact actually inside the combustion space.

Richard
(Southampton - England)